Key research and working areas
- Born 30 April 1946 in Vorarlberg, Austria
- Mag rer.nat, PhD in biology at the University of Innsbruck (1967–1975)
- Lecturer at the Institute of Botany at the University of Innsbruck (1975–1986, Habilitation 1984)
- Appointments to chairs at the University of Vienna (o.Univ.Prof.) and the University of Hannover (C4; Germany) 1986
- Since 1986 professor of vegetation ecology and conservation biology at the University of Vienna
- Negotiations to retain his services in Vienna, following the offer of a chair at ETH Zurich, 1994
- Advisory Boards: EC-Dir XI- Flora-Fauna-Habitat Directive (member of the Scientific Working Group); WWF Austria (chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board), Naturschutzrat Vorarlberg (chairman) etc.
- ÖAW research programmes: MAB (chairman), Global Change (chairman), Alpine Research (member), member of the board of trustees of the Institute of Urban and Regional Research, deputy director of the Institute of Mountain Research: Man and Environment.
- Scientific Associations: Int. Association of Vegetation Science (advisory board), Ecological Society of Germany, Austria and Switzerland (board member)
- Foundations: Binding Foundation (Liechtenstein; member of the board of trustees); Tüxen Foundation, Germany; member of the board of trustees).